The world of online marketing has changed tremendously since the evolution of social media platforms. Social media can have a great impact on your brand recognition, online traffic, and conversion rates. For bloggers, social media offers increased exposure and helps them get a targeted influx of traffic. Every post is an opportunity to enhance their business by influencing people.
Social media profiles are essential for a blogger looking to target specific audiences without spending an excessive amount of money on marketing. More importantly, valuable feedback and insight can be gained by initiating two-way communication with followers. Converting free users into paying customers is easy once you build up your reputation and trust through effective social media strategy.
However, in order utilize this platform, you must clearly understand what social media marketing is and how it differs from other digital marketing channels.
Photo Above: http://startbloggingonline.com/
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is a strategy used by a business to reach their target audience and speak to them directly through a social platform. It is highly effective since it relies on user interaction and puts control in the hands of customers and end-users.
Social media marketing involves utilization of any social platform including the following:
Social Media: This includes websites and applications where users or a group of users can create and share content such as videos, images, songs and other content to participate in social networking. Facebook, Twitter, G+ are all social media websites.
Social Bookmarking: This is a way for people to add, annotate and bookmark web documents through URLs and share them publicly. It includes websites like Digg, StumbleUpon, etc.
Social News: This includes websites that feature stories posted by users, ranking them in terms of popularity.
Social Apps: Social apps play an important role in helping users interact with one another on-the-go.
Depending on the niche of your blog, you need to pick the right social media platform to promote yourself.
Social Media for Bloggers
Social media and blogging are closely linked with each other. Having a social media presence is therefore crucial to the success of a blog. Not only does it lead to more traffic, but it can also improve your conversion rate.
Promotional techniques on different social media platforms differ based on the nature of your blog. Some highlights of social media marketing for bloggers include:
- More subscribers leading to increased traffic and higher conversion
- Free targeted traffic through social bookmarking websites
- Linking a blog with popular social media sites can help in achieving increased domain authority
- Highly targeted and streamlined campaigns
- You can get a better and deeper indexing of your site by creating resource pages for older posts
- Blogs can achieve global recognition with social media sites.
Do’s And Don’ts of Social Media Marketing
With so many options available for social media marketing, marketers need to decide which practices to adopt and which ones to avoid. Understanding the psychology of your customers/target market and offering content based on their mood is the key to successful social media marketing. It is important to acquire targeted users by identifying and catering to your niche. Here is a list of the things you should and shouldn’t do on social media:
- Interact with users through a correct balance of interesting content and self-promotion
- Schedule your posts at regular intervals
- Stay up to date with relevant trends and share related content
- Make sure your profile information is up to date
- Re-purpose your content to save time and share content on multiple platforms
- Keep your brand the same across all social media platforms and monitor its presence
- Keep audience engaged through humor and a personal touch
- Be open to innovation
- Know your competitors and keep an eye on their strategies
- Set reasonable goals and focus on increasing loyalty among users
- Avoid spamming by posting too much
- Avoid excessive self-promotion
- Don’t try to ‘buy’ users and fans
- Don’t have a meltdown in case of a crisis
- Don’t ignore your audience by refusing to answer their queries
- Don’t frustrate your audience with ‘robotic’ content
- Don’t forget to acknowledge any feedback
- Don’t spend excessive time on social media and focus on making sales
- Don’t insult your subscribers and handle them with care
- Don’t try to increase your numbers using bots
- Don’t use obnoxious tactics to engage followers
Your motto should be to help readers through your blogs and focus on building your brand through effective social media marketing. The objective is to give your readers a chance to interact and share their input on user-friendly platforms.